The other day I was watching the movie "Knocked up" and there is a scene where Paul Rudd is talking to Seth Rogen while his kids are playing on the playground:
Pete: I mean, that's an incredible thing about a child. What's so great about bubbles?
Ben: They float, you can pop them. I mean...I get it, I get it.
Pete: I wish I liked anything as much as my kids liked bubbles.
It's funny how when you grow up so many cliches are true. I can't believe that many moons ago I was able to stay up all night long. Now, I wish I could go to bed at 8 o'clock. Making your husband think your idea was "his idea". Check. When I was younger I thought my parents had no idea what they were talking about, now I go to them for advice on a very regular basis.
I was thinking about 2010 and how life really beat the joy out of me. I want to get that back. I have realized that I forgot what it is that makes me...well, me. Something that contributed to this realization was something so simple...looking through my hope chest.
My hope chest is so beautiful. It was handmade and painted by my grandparents as a gift one year. It's filled with keepsakes, cards, letters, signs, and other little treasures I've collected through out my life. It has all of my soccer programs from high school, my first wallet (bright pink and covered in multi-color frogs), invitations to the "Best friends club" sleepover, and much, much more. It also contained my planners that I used each year, packed with Stuco meetings, soccer games, and powder puff practice. I read a few of the letters and cards from people I know, and they made me feel really great. If I ever need a bit of confidence or a self-esteem boost- I will definitely be reading them again. It felt like I hadn't looked in the chest in a million years. I have been so busy and caught up in the every day ruckus that I forgot about who I was before I grew up.
So there you have it, my new year's resolution. I'm going to be the best wife and mother in the world and be able to balance that with out forgetting who I am. I am going to make time for myself to write, listen to music, and take a bubble bath if I wish. Here's a quote I've always loved from one of my favorite movies:
"Never lose your childish enthusiasm, and things will come your way."
-Under the Tuscan Sun
I want to look at life with the enthusiasm of a child. When everything is funny, you drink chocolate milk like it's going out of style, and you look at everything through rose colored glasses.
So here it is: My name is Amber Caitlin Sowell. Maiden name: Stout. I love listening to music, every kind. I love how hearing Jimmy Eat World or Taking Back Sunday takes me back to my senior year riding around in the car with my best friend, Sarah. I enjoy movies...especially funny ones like Anchorman and 40 year old virgin...BUT do not make me watch a scary movie...I hate them. I love the feeling I get after a good workout. I love the sunshine, it brings me back to life. I like to write, but not with any type of criteria. I make to do lists, have planners, and keep a binder filled with all of my important papers. I grew up a tomboy, but I do have a very girlish side. My girlfriends and Sephora are the only reason I even contain any girlishness. I love to get dolled up and go out on dates with my husband. I love sports...especially football. There's something about teamwork and the way sports bring people together that inspires me. I hate college...but I only have a year and half left- so I'm not going to give up. I am in love with my husband and kids. I'm way too hard on myself. All I want is for the people I love to be proud of me.
I'm ready for 2011, and yes, I'm one of those people who seems to think that at the stroke of midnight 2010's worries and troubles will disappear.
That is, if I can even stay awake until midnight ;)
Amber
December 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Reading your blog makes me miss you x1000!!!
ReplyDelete